Monday, March 30, 2015

Springtime Tallahassee 10K Recap

I registered for Springtime Tallahassee before my accident.  Even though I had only run once between the accident and the race, I decided I was going to go ahead and do it.  I would walk the entire thing if I had to.

Woke up to 40 degree weather and headed to the Leon County Courthouse to meet up with some friends.  I realized at this point that I forgot my Garmin.  :-/


Springtime starts the 5k and the 10k at the same time, so with the sound of a horn, we were off.  Somewhere between miles 1 and 2, the 5k runners split off from the 10k runners, so the runners thinned out some.

Now remember, I live in Florida and we don't really have hills, so I rarely run them.  Well, I think this course found every hill in all of Tallahassee.  It was brutal!  During the first hill, my knee started aching.  I was very pleased to see a real bathroom around mile 2 so I could sit down for a minute.  Sadly the bathroom stop so early on killed our 5k time, which came out to be around 50 minutes.  At this point, I hit a wall.  I started getting a stitch in my side and my knee was just aching.  I did very little running at this point.

About mile 5, the cops came up to us and told us to get on the sidewalk because they were opening the roads.  I thought this was a little ridiculous seeing as there were still a good bit of people on the course.  We were about an hour and twenty minutes in at this point.  Thankfully the rest of the course was downhill so I ran a good bit and finished around an hour and forty five minutes.  Not a good time at all, but I was just happy that I finished.

After crossed the finish line, I met back up with one of my friends who finished about 10 minutes before me.  She directed me to the medal stand and they only had last year's medals left.  I was pretty upset by this because last year's was not near as cool as this year.  Thankfully one of my friends who works for the running club who puts on the race found me one of this years.  There was also no beer and barely any bananas left.  The definitely needed to organize the race a little better.

Overall I was happy that I completed the race, but it was brutal.  Not sure if I would do this course again.  Those hills were killer.

I did get a pretty medal though.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin